Italian turkey sausage is great in this tasty sauce! It has a lower fat content then regular sausage; consequently it’s a bit healthier.
If you like a bit of sausage in your lasagna, this sauce recipe is perfect!
To make this sauce you will need:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds of sweet or hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 (28-ounce) can of crushed tomatoes in tomato puree
- 1 (6-ounce) can of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons of salt
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
It’s a really good habit to get all your ingredients prepared before you turn on the stove. It makes the cooking process go much more smoothly.
That means you need to:
- Chop the onion
- Mince the garlic
- Chop the parsley
- Remove the casings (that’s the really thin skin) from the sausage
- Open the cans of tomatoes and tomato paste
- Measure the spices
Now we are ready to start cooking!
Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a large (10 to 12-inch) skillet or frying pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent.
“Until translucent” is a typical term used to describe cooking onions. Raw onions are fairly opaque. As you start to cook them, they slowly reach a point where they become almost see-through. They have not turned brown, and are not supposed to for this recipe.
Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute, or until you can smell the garlic cooking.
Add the sausage to the onions and garlic. I like to use a combination of both hot and sweet sausage. We need to cook it over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink. This is just like browning ground beef.
Because this Italian turkey sausage has a lower fat content then regular Italian sausage, there will be very little fat to drain off. (If I were using regular sausage, I would definitely drain off the fat before adding the remaining ingredients.)
Now add the remaining ingredients:
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in tomato puree
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
Simmer the sauce, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 15 to 20 minutes, until it has thickened.
This turns into a really thick sauce which is great over any pasta. Enjoy!
If you are new to startcooking, or are a regular visitor here, please consider subscribing for free.