Pasta sauce: Italian turkey sausage
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of yellow onion - chopped
- 2 teaspoons of garlic - minced
- 1 and 1/2 pounds of Italian turkey sausage - casings removed
- 1/3 cup of fresh parsley - chopped
- 6 ounces of tomato paste
- 28 ounces of crushed tomatoes (in tomato puree)
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 dash of salt
- 1 dash of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a large (10 to 12-inch) skillet or frying pan.
Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent.
Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute, or until you can smell the garlic cooking.
Add the sausage to the onions and garlic. Cook it over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Then add the remaining ingredients.
Simmer the sauce, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 15 to 20 minutes, until it has thickened.