Granola can be delicious as a breakfast cereal, a topping for yogurt (or ice cream!), a trail mix, or in a snack bar form. It is a mixture of grains, nuts and (usually) dried fruit, sometimes coated with oil and honey, with or without brown sugar. Sometimes, it is called muesli (the German word for “mixture”), but it’s really the same thing.
Making it at home is a simple way to create a high-protein, high-fiber snack. The fats in granola are typically “good fats” from nuts and seeds, and the calories are the type that will give you long-lasting energy for hikes or a hectic day of errands and work.
Despite the simple composition of granola, most people don’t think about making it themselves. Or if they do, they wonder, “What if I do it wrong? What if it doesn’t taste right?
That’s the beauty of granola! There are endless combinations that are all RIGHT! If you’re allergic to tree nuts, try peanuts instead. If you can’t stand peanuts, maybe soy nuts would be better for you. If the texture of too many oats bothers you, or if you are on a gluten-free diet, maybe a version of granola with puffed rice is more your speed.
Granola is typically toasted in the oven. Make sure to stir every few minutes to avoid burning it, and add the dried fruit after the grains are finished toasting.
Does One of These Granola Recipes Sound Good to You?
- Here’s a lightened-up version of granola with coconut, almonds and blueberries, and sweetened with fruit juice.
- Applesauce granola uses applesauce, rather than oil, to achieve a chunky texture. The recipe also offers ideas for mixing and matching nuts and fruit.
- Here’s a classic granola recipe with coconut, almonds, raisins, and honey. It makes a ton!
- If you’ve got flax seeds and walnuts kicking around, here’s a pared-down, but delicious granola mixture.
- Is this spiced granola, as the author claims, the best granola ever? You be the judge.
- You can always trust an Alton Brown recipe – his Granola Recipe looks simple and delicious.
- These Bite-Sized Granola Cookies call for two cups of granola cereal.
- Cinnamon, ginger plus applesauce and peach puree gives Cafe Fernando’s Homemade Granola Recipe its own unique and fabulous flavor.
- Tart dried cherries are perfect in The Barefoot Contessa’s Granola Recipe.
How About Granola Bars?
Any way you eat your granola, the key is to enjoy it thoroughly! Now, go forth and mix grains!
If you are new to startcooking, or are a regular visitor here, please consider subscribing for free.