Pasta sauce: Marinara
- 2 cans of whole tomatoes (in juice)
- 1 cup of fresh basil leaves
- 2 small onions - finally chopped
- 4 teaspoons of garlic - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 dash of salt
- 1 dash of black pepper
Puree (in a food processor or blender) the basil and canned tomatoes until almost smooth. Set aside
Chop the onion and garlic and set aside.
Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until very tender, about 12 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes and basil from the blender and 1 teaspoon of oregano plus 1 teaspoon of sugar.
Bring the sauce to a simmer over a medium-high heat. Decrease the heat to medium and continue simmering until the sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally. This will take about 10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste
Adapted from: Giada de Laurentiis