Hershey Kiss Cookie
serves 16 - 24
- 1 bag of Hershey's Kisses Chocolates (48 kisses) - unwrapped
- 1 and 1/2 cups of white flour - all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of shortening
- 3/4 cup of creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup of granulated sugar (plus 1/2 cup for rolling the cookies)
- 1/3 cup of light brown sugar - lightly packed
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Heat oven to 375 F. degrees.
Remove the foil from the chocolate kisses.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and the salt. Set the bowl aside.
In a large bowl, beat together the shortening and the peanut butter until well blended.
Add 1/3 cup of granulated sugar and the brown sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
Add the egg, milk and the vanilla – beat well.
Gradually beat the flour into the peanut butter mixture.
Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in the remaining 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Remove from the oven and immediately press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie. The cookie will crack slightly around the edges.
Remove the cookie from the cookie sheet and place on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
The chocolate will firm up again once the cookies have totally cooled.
Makes approximately 4 dozen cookies
Adapted from: Hershey’s