Berry Fruit Crisp
- 6 cups of frozen mixed berries (2 12-ounce packages) - unthawed
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 3/4 cup of old-fashioned oat (not quick-cooking or instant)
- 3/4 cup of flour
- 2/3 cup of firmly-packed golden brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 7 tablespoons of chilled unsalted butter - cut into cubes
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Combine the unthawed berries, 1/4 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, and the lemon juice in large bowl. Stir the mixture thoroughly and set aside while you prepare the topping.
For the topping, combine the oats, 3/4 cup flour, brown sugar, spices and salt in a medium bowl. Add the butter cubes and incorporate the butter into the dry ingredients with your fingertips. The topping should have the texture of wet sand and form into moist clumps.
Transfer the berry mixture to a 9" pie pan. Sprinkle the topping over the berries.
Bake the crisp for about 1 hour. The juices will be bubbly--check the crisp after 40 minutes or so to make sure the juices aren't bubbling over (if they look like they might, slide a cookie sheet under the pie pan).
Serve warm or at room temperature--plain or with some vanilla ice cream.