Mixed bean and vegetable soup
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 1 and 1/2 pounds of mixed root vegetables
- 1 and 1/2 pounds of mixed vegetables
- 1 teaspoon of garlic - crushed
- 2 teaspoons of curry powder
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley - chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups of chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 2 small zucchinis - chopped
- 1 can of red kidney beans (15 ounces) - rinsed and drained
- 1 can of black-eyed peas (15 ounces) - rinced and drained
Heat oil in a heavy stock pot or Dutch oven.
Add all the vegetables, except the zucchini, parsley and beans.
Cook over high heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the garlic, curry powder and the bay leaves and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
Pour in the stock, there should be enough to cover all the vegetables.
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the beans and cook for another 10 minutes.
Remove bay leaf.
Puree about 1/3 to 1/2 of the soup in a blender.
Return puree to the pot and bring to a boil.
Then add the zucchini and parsley and continue cooking for another 3-4 four minutes.
Add salt and pepper as needed.
Good Housekeeping’s Complete book of Vegetarian Cookery
This thick, creamy winter soup cooks up in just 35 minutes and makes a hearty main course.