Guinness Stout Beef Stew
serves 4 - 6
- 2 and 1/2 pounds of stew beef - cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic - crushed
- 2 cups of onions - chopped
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups of beef broth
- 12 ounces of Guinness Extra Stout
- 3 large carrots - sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 3/4 cup of prunes - pitted
- 2 tablespoons of parsley - for garnish
In a Dutch oven, on medium high heat, heat 1 Tablespoon of the oil and sauté the onions for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
Remove them from the pot and add the remaining 1 Tablespoon of oil to the pan. Quickly sear the meat on all sides in several small batches.
Return all the seared meat to the pan. Reduce heat, stir in the flour until all the meat is coated.
Add beef broth and the Guinness and stir until mixture comes to a simmer.
Add onions, garlic, carrots, bay leaves, and ground pepper to the pot. Stir.
Simmer gently for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Cook the stew uncovered so that the gravy will thicken.
Chop the prunes and add them to the pot. Continue cooking for 1/2 hour. The gravy will develop a glossy finish.
Remove bay leaf. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with boiled potatoes. Garnish with chopped parsley.